I was inspired to create this presentation after hearing Ruby enthusiast Chris Mar
(@cmar) at a meetup talk.
He laid out some very nice tips on becoming a Ruby programmer and I thought it
would be interesting to put an R spin on the content. If you’re preparing to get
your first job writing R Code here are the key takeaways from the presentation:
- Pick a project you’re passionate about that forces you to write R code
- Build it and put it on GitHub with a nice README
- Follow the R community (i.e. follow breaking news, influencers, and key conferences)
- Be opinionated! Know popular packages and a preference for certain ones
- Commit to open source
- Find jobs specifically listing R skills and follow employees at that company
- At the interview, say you’re proficient and act curious and enthusiastic
- When answering technical questions, ask for help and be yourself.
Click Here to View in New Tab